My dad and two brothers competed in the Ironman two Saturdays ago. For those you you who don't know, the Ironman is a 2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride, and then finishes with a 26.2 mile run. My brother Mark and my husband Daniel completed the Ironman back in November 2008 and so when my other brother, Daniel, and my Dad decided to do it then Mark gave in and said he would do another one. They tried convincing my Daniel but seeing how we were still living in NC at the time and hoping to have a baby... I put my foot down and said NO. I wasn't worried about Daniel being able to complete the Ironman again! I just didn't want to deal with being pregnant again and NEVER seeing my husband with all the training that goes into an Ironman. Probably a good thing considering it was a week before my due date. To prove how much time it really is I am including a picture that my Mom and sisters made for the race.
The Ironman officials are very strict. If you do not finish each portion within a certain amount of time, they will pull you out of the competition...all that time and money wasted. My sister saw one swimmer reach shore just seconds after the cutoff time and they pulled her out and wouldn't let her finish.
The girls all had their first swim meet that morning (which is another story in itself) and so I brought them all up and we made it just in time to see the boys come running by on the first loop. I had just put the camera away to get snacks for the kids when they came running by... so I had to take my 39week pregnant self and literally sprint down the block for my picture!
Each time the boys passed they looked AMAZING and were both ahead of schedule. I must tell you that this course was a pretty darn hard course. The bike portion was pretty hilly but the worst part was that it was 90+ degrees and HUMID.


After their last loop, we headed over to the finish line. We expected to see them within the hour, but no one showed. Meanwhile, my mom gets a call saying my dad passed out during the run and is in the med tent. So, she headed over to the tent and we continued to wait for my brothers to finish. An hour passed and still no boys. Finally, 1.5 hour after we expected them, they went running by. Daniel seemed in great spirits, but Mark looked a little out of it. Apparently, 6 miles to the finish line, Mark got really sick and couldn't keep anything down. He was on the ground and the medics kept coming over to him, but if you get any medical assistance you are pulled out of the event. So, Mark and Daniel kept fighting them off. The medics were getting ready to override Mark's decision so he staggered a few feet down the road and hid behind a bush. Daniel stayed with him for the next 45 minutes until he recovered enough to finish the last few miles.
My dad ended up with IVs in both arms and an EKG.

I am so PROUD of my Dad for his accomplishments and his HUGE dedication to training. Despite starting to get sick a couple days before the Ironman and then cramping on the swim and bike he literally didn't give up until he passed out. Even with all the emotions high and the excitement of saying "I am and Ironman" I still have NO DESIRE to attempt and Ironman. Maybe one year I will try the half but for now I think I'll stick to sprints and running.
0 comments:
Post a Comment