Tuesday, December 01, 2009

FIRE

Not two days ago but the previous Sunday... our Home Teacher was coming over, I had to make dinner for a friend, and a dessert for dinner at the Sweeney's. I of course lit a tea light candle in the guest bathroom (one with the incense in the bowl above) to make the house smell nice for the HT. I kept telling myself to take it out of the bathroom and put it in the living room for a better smell in the entire house but kept getting distracted by something else.
My first batch of fudge I had the temperature up too high so it started to burn on the bottom of the pan. Daniel took it and dumped it in the backyard and I started again. I am still making the second batch when our HT arrives. He comes into the kitchen, I finish making fudge, clean the dishes, wipe the floor, and then about 20 minutes later we head into the living room for the lesson.
Now for the point in all my details... I smell smoke, look up and see smoke streaming out from above and below our bathroom door. I freak out and start yelling "FIRE." I practice NO fire safety at all. I swing open the bathroom door, go into the room of smoke (eyes burning and watering), and try to find what is on fire. I notice my hand towel laying on the counter and pick it up... it is on FIRE but since it was wet it was a smoldering fire. Daniel kicked me out and threw the towel in the sink.
So what happened? Kinleigh had gone in and washed her hands (previous to the HT arriving), threw the towel on the counter and we are assuming it was touching the candle. Bathroom still smells of smoke but we are so Thankful that there was not more damage.

4 comments:

Kory said...

that SO sucks but i'm glad everyone is OK and your house didn't get damaged - a countertop is much easier to replace!

Miss you guys - looking forward to our "date night" next week!

Hall Family said...

Oh my goodness! My worst nightmare come true!! I'm so glad that it wasn't worse though! Fudge does sound good too! Look at you! I haven't even made that before! :)

Hall Family said...

Oh my goodness! My worst nightmare come true!! I'm so glad that it wasn't worse though! Fudge does sound good too! Look at you! I haven't even made that before! :)

Mom Erwin said...

I am so glad it wasn't worse. I sometimes use the candle here (like yours) - it is a warning for all of us.