Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cranky Old Man

When I say Cranky Old Man, I mean CRANKY OLD MAN. Here we are all EXCITED to be on the Metro and since we were one of the first pick-up stops there was an empty seat right in the back for Kinleigh to sit down. The rest of us stood in the very back in a little nook so the stroller didn't get in anyone's way. The next stop apparently three old men get on TWO of which had canes. Us being so caught up in our excitement of our kids didn't notice the men with the canes. All of a sudden I hear this man cussing up a storm about how back in his day someone would have given up their seat if they saw an old man with a cane. He kept going on and on about how if someone had a kid sitting in a seat he would have given it up for someone with a cane to sit down.... He continued to express how mad he was about this and this new generation, etc, etc, etc... all full of profanity. Here I am feeling so bad for the person that he is talking about when it dawned on me that he was talking about US letting Kinleigh sit in a seat. I had forgotten all about the fact she was sitting and immediately made her get up and told the man to sit down. About this same time the train was coming to the next stop and he fell backward onto Daniel. (This is the FIRST time Daniel noticed a Man with a Cane) We tried to get him to sit down but he was just too angry (full of profanity) to sit down. The gentleman WITH OUT a cane motioned for the other gentleman with a cane to come have a seat (he was a NICE OLD MAN with a cane). Then the CRANKY OLD MAN started fussing at the man WITH OUT a cane telling him to stop his leg from touching him and continued to go on and on about how mad he was. Finally the man sitting next to Kinleigh's old seat exited the train and the CRANKY OLD MAN sat down in his seat next to the NICE OLD MAN with a cane. He continued his angry comments to him complaining about how the man WITH OUT a cane didn't know where he was going and he should have had this all planned out, etc.... I then overheard him telling him how he NICELY yelled to everyone to see if anyone would give up their seat for men with a cane (RIGHT?!?) and WE were the only nice ones on the train. He then THANKED Daniel on the way out for giving up Kinleigh's seat. You now have the definition of a true CRANKY OLD MAN!
The thing is that for anyone who knows Daniel he is the FIRST person to give up his seat for WOMEN, CHILDREN, OLDER FOLKS, etc.... That is how fast and oblivious we were to these men with canes and our child sitting in a seat. That would have been the first thing Daniel would have done and did do once he realized they were on the train.

1 comments:

Hall Family said...

I don't know, maybe I'm mean, but I also think that little kids who don't have sure footing on the trains...SHOULD have a seat. I've ridden enough trains to say I KNOW what its like to have my arms full and to see my kids go flying off their feet because we didn't have a seat and the train came to a stop. Maybe I'm a cranky old lady ;) haha But I can see what he was saying about this day and age...almost ran over a little old man in the library but I stopped in my tracks, and then he stopped and said something about "youth and beauty before age.". Maybe it was meant as a compliment...but I was a bit offended and felt bad for this man...because in a sense I think he's right that we young folks just plow through not using our manners. (NOt to say that you guys are like that, I know you would have given up your seat and all that!!) Anyway...glad to know you guys were safe though!