Tuesday, August 09, 2011

SCORPION REUNION

Our family reunion was at the C.O.D. Ranch in Oracle, Arizona. This ranch was awesome in many ways: our own personal chef, sweet casitas, hiking trails, hot tub and pool, morning RUNS, horseshoes, pool volleyball, volleyball, and much more. 

My sister Jennifer was in charge and she had lots of fun games planned.  The kids had such a great time playing with cousins and KARAOKE night was a hit by kids and kids at heart.  Daniel got up and sang "I've Got Friends in Low Places."  My sisters and I butchered "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."  And the sons and son-in-laws sang Backstreet Boys "I Want it That Way."  I'm pretty sure my Aunts and Uncles may not EVER want to do another reunion or DEFINITELY NOT Karaoke night with us again.

At one point in time I look up to see my HUSBAND and DAUGHTER playing on the roof.  I think she must have secretly shown the other kids because all of a sudden almost ALL the kids were running on the roof.  Once they started JUMPING we banned them from ever getting on the roof again.

The young boys LOVED riding on the golf cart and apparently at some point my nephew Caleb figured out where the key was, put it in the ignition, turned it on and then hit the floor to push the pedal.  I hear it was quite the site to see three little boys in a MOVING GOLF CART.

However, the ranch also had LOTS of SCORPIONS and A TARANTULA. The first night there the chef reminded us to check our beds and shoes and told us that we would probably see about 8-10 scorpions each seeing how this is prime Scorpion time. He reassured us that they haven't had a scorpion bite in about a year and a half.  A year and a half is not that long ago!



Each night we would gather around the campfire to hear family history stories. The first night we were listening to my dad tell stories about his life. The younger kids had grown a little restless and were playing in the golf cart (of course) a few feet away.Suddenly Ellie comes running over and screaming that there was a Tarantula.  Of course I didn't believe her (terrible Aunt) but when we went to check it out... sure enough a HUGE TARANTULA at that!

Something I didn't know about scorpions is that they glow under black light. My sister bought several black light flashlights for us to check our cabins each night. I then became obsessed with checking every inch of our room before going to bed.  Then at night time I would get up to use the restroom and take the black light with me and double check the rooms.  The last night I found one in the bathroom that joined our room and my parent's room.  I am glad to report... NO BITES! My sister-in-law Ale went for a Scorpion hike one night with my nieces and nephew and found OVER 40!
























1 comments:

Mom Erwin said...

It looks like you had a great time - I am so glad. Do you remember when we had our golf cart at the new home in NC by the lake? Kinleigh loved to take rides with me on that golf cart and we did it every day she stayed with me. She knew where the key was kept too and handed it to me every time we got in. We would go down and see the ducks and geese.