Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Adventures of the Airport

March 23, 2007
Kinleigh and I were heading home from Salt Lake City after being in Preston, Idaho for 10 days babysitting Nenes kids. Sarah has guided us out of downtown Salt Lake and we are on our way to the airport. I'm a little stressed b/c I realize we only have 1 1/2 hours before our flight leaves. I pull into the parking garage and as I'm driving in I see that it cost $25/per day. I am leaving the car for three days... meaning $75. Thinking this must be a mistake, I park and ask someone how much it is for the day. Yep, $25/per day to park in the stupid parking garage. So, I can't bring myself to make my sister pay that much I pull back out and have to exit to go back into the economy lot. Now, here is where the fun starts. I finally find a parking spot with 1 hour left until our flight leaves. I now get to figure out how to carry a toddler (in the stroller), a big suitcase, a duffel bag, a back pack, another bag, and a HUG CAR SEAT. I manage to rig up a contraption to make it to the bus stop. However, now I get to bring all this stuff up three stairs onto the bus. I begin to pick Kinleigh up in the stroller and was holding on to the storage bag on the back and it snapped off making me nearly drop Kinleigh. Luckily the wheels hit first and she was safe (not before I nearly gave the elderly lady at the bus stop with me a heart attack). So, I finally get her on the bus and then head back for all my luggage. I'm not strong enough to pick it all up on the bus and of course everything falls off the big suitcase (that I ever so nicely had rigged up). We now have like three ladies and an a Grandma trying to help me get my stuff onto the bus. Of course there are no men on the bus at this time, minus the bus driver who was oblivious to the whole thing. Although I'm trying my best not to break into tears I must have looked some what distraught b/c this girl next to me was like, "Do you need help getting off?". Of course I told her "Yes!" Fortunately, there were lots of men on the park and ride at this time and they took all my stuff off for me. Now I am on the sidewalk (b/c of course they can't drop you off right at the entrance) and trying to put my contraption bag together. Everything is falling, I'm stressed b/c now I have less then 45 minutes until my plane leaves and am already very distraught. I had like three people stop and give me their advice on what I should do and finally I managed to make it to the curb side checking and just threw them my bags at them and was like "Please take them." We get into the airport, find the elevator, and see a massive line to go through security. The lady is telling everyone the line is about 25 minutes. Needless to say, we made it just in time and even had a minute to spare before loading. Of course the plane was booked and I had to keep Kinleigh on my lap for four hours. I think the Lord knew I was about ready to break and sat us next to the sweetest lady ever. Her and her husband were heading to visit their grandchildren and she was just wonderful. She helped me the ENTIRE plane ride. She played with Kinleigh, kept all my drinks and snacks on her tray and in her lap, and even asked the flight attendant for water for Kinleigh. I honestly think the flight attendant thought she was my Mom. She was so patient and seriously just wonderful. I don't know if I could have made it on that flight with out her sitting next to me. Kinleigh wasn't terrible, but EXTREMELY restless and we came to find out that she had an ear infection in both ears. Lessons learned- NEVER take a park-n-ride alone with a toddler. If it is a long flight pay for a seat for your child, it is worth the money.
I have to say though that the kids were wonderful. Nene is so lucky to have such good kids. I had no problems with them at all. We had a blast and I am glad that they asked me to go babysit for them. I was really missing them Saturday. I grew quite attached after seeing nothing but them for 10 days. By the end of the 10 days Kinleigh was adoring them. She could say everyones name and would get so excited when they got home from school. She really enjoyed having some sisters and a brother. The kids were great with her and patient about having to be quite while she slept.

1 comments:

Hall Family said...

Hey Di!
I'm soooooooo sorry about not giving you enough time for the airport!!! And I'm really sorry that you had to manage without help at the airport!
Makaya came down sick after our trip...she had an inner ear infection too!
I'm glad we got to see you and Kinleigh! It was fun! Too bad you guys are clear on the other side of the continent ;) hehe
love ya!
sarh