Sunday, July 08, 2007

WE MADE IT



July 8, 2007
Today was the day for Daniel and I's first triathlon. Finally we were able to see if all that training paid off. We will start off saying that both Daniel and I finished no problem :). They actually extended the cap on the race to 1100, so we know that there were at least 1000 people in the race. They split us up into heats to cut back on the amount of people starting at the same time. Daniel was in the second heat and I was in the sixth. Daniel finished the swim that he had been dreading with no problems!!! YEAH :). I have to admit the swim was actually harder then I anticipated. Thankfully my parents put me in swim lessons when I was young and with several summers of swim team the swim was no concern for me. However, 100 people starting out a swim at the same time was not the best situation. I was kicked in the head at least 5 times and nailed hard in my face one time. There was really no room to actually become comfortable and have a normal swim. The bike was as hilly as Daniel and I remembered, but the good thing is that it was like that for everyone! We both agreed that we didn't push ourselves as much as we could have on the run, but we finished and that was what we were going for. We actually both did much better then we thought we would. It was such a fun experience and we are ready to do another one (maybe a pool swim would be nice).
I am enclosing a couple pictures that we took afterwards (sad times that we don't have family here to come and cheer us on).

2 comments:

Suzi said...

Oh my gosh-what an accomplishment! You guys are amazing!

Texasholly said...

If only Tom and I had been there a little bit earlier...we could have totally cheered you on. Y'all are awesome!