Sunday, January 25, 2009

Uvulitis

Two weeks ago tomorrow I got my freak uvulitis infection again. Four years ago I had driven up to Greensboro to spend the night with Daniel on a business trip and ended up in the ER with uvulitis. At the time I had no idea what it was and all I knew was that my uvula (the thing hanging in the back of your throat) was so large that it was going down the back of my throat and not to mention the extreme pain. So a couple Mondays ago I decided to get my butt into gear and start training for the quarter iron man that I am doing in April. With only eight weeks to go and very out of shape I hit the pool. I swam a mile and on the way home my throat started to hurt. I thought that maybe I had swallowed too much water but around midnight I woke Daniel up to inform him that this was the same excruciating pain I had four years ago. Sure enough I woke up Tuesday morning with my uvula swollen. I diagnosed myself and started taking a prescription of amoxicillin. Daniel kept trying to convince me to go to the Dr. but I was determined to beat this on my own. After throwing up four times on Tuesday from gagging on my uvula and waking up Wednesday to it double the size it was Tuesday morning I called and made a Dr.'s appt. I could tell she was surprised at the size of the thing and gave me a shot of steroids and then a six day regiment. Thank goodness it started to go down in just a couple hours and I could finally eat again. If only I had listened to my husband the day before....

Sexy I know! By the way my tongue looks a little coated and I promise it is not. I am a freak about brushing not only my teeth several times a day but my tongue too!

2 comments:

Lisa and company said...

I can't believe you took a picture of that thing!!!

Kory said...

oh my gosh! you said it got big but holy crap!

LOVE that you took a pic of it. Allen would be proud. :)