Friday, March 25, 2011

Where Oh Where Did All The Water GO?

We are new to this whole Water Bill!  The first month a man from the water company came to our house and said the builder just issued the final inspection and so count our blessing because we would only be billed for half the month.  We received the bill, paid it, and went on our way.  The next month the bill comes in and I actually looked at it a bit closer.  I have NO IDEA how much normal water consumption was but seeing that there is a base price for the first 2000 gallons and that we were at 11,000 I thought maybe something was wrong.  I called my two sister-in-laws to find out their water consumption and the results were 7,000 and 6,000.  I'm pretty certain that we aren't the only ones who shower, do laundry, and run the dishwasher.  Yes we have a sprinkler system but so does my sister-in-law and her yard is literally four times the size of ours. 
Next step, we call the water company.  After Daniel sweet talks the lady she decides to send someone out to check our meter.  Not only did they find nothing wrong but he read the meter again and our next bill will be for 13,000 gallons of water.  She checked our neighbors and they are only using 7,000.  Hmmm....
I also realized this week that our AC upstairs wasn't kicking on.  The AMAZING thing was that our upstairs never got above 78.  There may actually be something to these new energy star homes.  I put in the warranty request through the builder and someone was out the next day.  Long story short... when they installed the AC they simply forgot to hook up one cord for the AC.  The fan and the heat mode have been working fine.  Point being, when the builder came out I mentioned our crazy water bill.  He came back out yesterday, we did some trouble shooting, and we found that one of the sprinklers in our front yard is leaking BAD each time we run our system.  How bad?  Lets just say I ran the sprinkler system yesterday morning and in one day we used 2,000 gallons of water.  I have the system set to come on at 5:30am so we never noticed. 
Supposedly someone is suppose to come take a look today.  Fingers crossed.  I don't want any more crazy water bills. 
SO MUCH FOR GETTING THE FIRST MONTH HALF OFF!

3 comments:

Sabs said...

glad you at least got it figured out! no more 2 hour showers for you haha!

Kory said...

you should call the water people and ask if they'll do a one time adjustment since there was a leak you were unaware of. our water people said they would do that once a year should something happen.

bummer! but glad you got it figured out!!!

Mom Erwin said...

Stay with the builders until they get the leak fixed - that is a hazzle!