Friday, February 03, 2012

3.1

We sat down with the kids at the beginning of the year and set some family New Years Resolutions.  Kinleigh wanted to set a couple of her own and one of them was to run a 5k.  We decided to have a family run the other night and I told Kinleigh she was going to have to run so she could get some practice.  We headed out to run two times around the lake (the last time she made it one time).  On the way home I told her that our distance once we got home was going to be 2.7 miles and asked if she wanted to continue to 3.  Not only did she want to do 3 but she would not stop until it was 3.1.  I do not know if she was more excited about finishing the run or getting to have her own Gatorade.  Not sure why our kids think Gatorade is this hug REWARD.  It was only the beginning of January and she already accomplished her goal!  She did awesome and was not even really tired after wards.  
She has become quite the helper and has recently decided she wants to start doing the dishes.  I should be jumping all over this but I'm kind of particular about how I load the dishwasher and where my dished go when you put them away.  Two things, I either need to let go of some control or just make her a freak like me and teach her my crazy ways.  I think I'll choose the second option!  
She is doing AWESOME at school and has received a 100 on every single one of her spelling tests.  On her Math benchmark she only missed one and that was simply from circling the wrong answer... all of her work showed the right answer.  I actually think the teacher gave it to her because she had a 100 on her report.  They just tested her reading level also and she is reading at a second grade level.  The girl LOVES to read and has blown me away at how well she can read.  She even takes her turn reading the scriptures.  
She has also become a little teenager and she does have some attitude.  Her Dad says she gets it from me... NEVER. I thought she matured a lot in kindergarten but it has been even more noticeable in first grade!
Despite our arguments at time she is a WONDERFUL daughter and I have so much fun with her.  I feel bad sometimes that she does not have a sister but then I realize she has me and TONS of girl cousins! 
I LOVE THIS GIRL!!!
This is a picture of her after her 3.1 mile

3 comments:

Mom Erwin said...

Kinleigh, you are amazing! I was happy to finish one time around the lake with all of you but you did TWO times plus some - wow! Your family are runners for sure. We love you, honey. Keep helping Mommy - that is great.

robandkayla said...

Way to go Kinleigh! I laughed when I read that you're particular about how you load and unload your dishes.. I am so that way too! I had to teach Cole my ways when she was here for the whole month :)

Unknown said...

I have the same control issues over my kitchen and the laundry. I can't even let my boys but away their own laundry. Darbs can now because she is as anal as I am.
I tell myself that if my kids aren't smart enough to figure out how to do these things on their own when they have their own houses, they have much bigger problems and probably won't be getting married or leaving my house anyway.